The Indiana University Women's Golf team earned third place on day one of the Hanover College Fall Invite and maintained it, finishing third out of eight collegiate programs competing, breaking multiple records as a team and individually in the process.
Location: Madison, IN; Seymour IN
Course: Sunrise Golf Course; Shadowood Golf Course
Finish: 3rd of 8
Full Results: Click Here
- As a team, the Cougar women broke their previous 36-hole record (709) by 33 strokes with a 676.
- On day two, IU Kokomo not only scored the daily low round, but broke their 18-hole record for the third time this year shooting a 332 (previously 336).
- Finishing in second place out of 60 total golfers, Anne Marie Balsbaugh broke the individual 18-hole record after shooting a 79 on day two. This was a personal best for Balsbaugh who shot an 81 on day one, earning her the two-day individual record as well with a total of 160 (previously held by Lela Crawford at 166).
- The Cougars were only one of two teams that shot better on day two of the Invite.
- Tying for 14th, Brandi Jones finished second for the Cougars with a total score of 170 after a day one score of 90 at Sunrise Golf Course and a day two improvement of 10 strokes for an 80 at Shadowood Golf Course.
- Lela Crawford captured the 16th slot with an 87-84.
- Finishing within the top 25, Hattie Johnson tied for 21st with an 86 on day one and an 89 on day two.
- Brooke Troutman rounded out the Cougar roster with a 197 (95-102).
Thoughts from Head Coach Julie Wagner:
"The team really showed true grit and determination this weekend. We played some of our best golf that I have never seen on either course. The team overall was tremendous with the short game and they were really fun to watch. They just continue to grind out tournament after tournament and I am so proud to be their coach. I tell them the 'Human Skills' part of the game is so important to succeed and to be a contender, and they seem to be embracing that and giving a great effort every tournament. They are truly a conference contender this year and continue to be a team to watch."
IU Kokomo will travel to Mohawk Country Club in Tiffin, Ohio to compete in the Heidelberg University Fall Invite from September 16-17 with a start time of 12:00 pm both days.