IU Kokomo runs Twilight Classic
Cross Country - Sat, Sep. 9, 2017
Location: Marion, Ind.
Race: Indiana Wesleyan Twilight Classic
Full Results: Click Here
· Women's 5K (3.11 Miles)
o 6th of 9
o Team Score: 156
o Total Time: 1:42:24
· Men's 8K (4.97 Miles)
o 9th of 9
o Team Score: 256
o Total Time: 1:29:11
Top Finishers – Women:
· Taryn Thor once again led for the Cougar women, earning second place overall out of the 115 runners. Her time of 18:21.3 breaks the school record she previously set just last week (18:22.8) at the Bluffton University Invitational.
· Finishing second for the Cougars and 17th overall, Brittany Sloan crossed the line at 19:22.3, 15.8 seconds faster than her time posted last week.
· With her time of 21:20.8, Caitlin Eltzroth was IU Kokomo's third runner to cross the finish.
· At a 9.9 second improvement from her previous race, Allison McMinn finished 21:25.0
· Jensen Freeman ran a 21:55.3.
Women's Performance from Head Coach Jason VanAlstine:
"Our women's team had a great day, with a team average of 20:28, which is only 1 second short of the school record. The team was led by Taryn Thor and Brittany Sloan. Taryn lowered her school record by a second, finishing in second place, while Brittany ran the 5th fastest time in school history with a 17th place finish. We had strong runs from two of our freshmen with Amanda and Allison both improving on their times from last week."
Top Finishers – Men:
· Finishing first for the Cougar men, Ethan Sharp finished in 61st-place at 28:31.3.
· Both Jordan Fivecoate and Ethan Dubbels came in under the 30 minute mark, with Fivecoate finishing at 29:04.9 and Dubbels crossing the line at 29:50.6.
· With Hunter Purtee's time of 30:35.0, he earns the spot as the 10th fastest runner in program history.
Men's Performance from Head Coach Jason VanAlstine:
"Our men's team was led by our three returning runners, Ethan Sharp, Jordan Fivecoate, and Ethan Dubbels, with all three running faster than 30 minutes. Sharp's time moves him up to the number six fastest runner in program history and earned him a huge PR. Behind our three returners were four freshmen, all running their first 8K race. Hunter really stepped it up and ran a phenomenal race to lead this group. I look forward to seeing what our freshmen can do over the next few weeks as they gain experience at the 8K distance."
Overall thoughts from Head Coach Jason VanAlstine:
"We had great weather and great competition today which led to some fast times. I am so grateful for all of the support from family, friends, and the IUK community at the race today, which I am sure helped everyone to run their best."
On September 15, the Cougars will compete in the Indiana Intercollegiate at Purdue University where all Indiana colleges are invited to compete.