The Cougars bounced back on day two of the Indiana Wesleyan University Volleyball Invitational. Indiana University Kokomo swept both matches with a pair of 3-0 wins, the first coming in a non-conference competition versus Indiana University East and the second against the University of Saint Francis (Ill.)
Location: Marion, Ind.
Opponents: Indiana University East; RV University of Saint Francis
Scores: Vs. IU East 25-16 25-13 25-23; Vs. St. Francis 25-15, 25-18, 25-17
Record: 6-7, 0-0
As a Team (Versus IU East):
- Ten of the fourteen Cougars contributed kills against the Red Wolves.
- IU Kokomo tallied 38 total kills, giving the team a .237 hitting percentage.
- On defense, the Cougars registered a total of six blocks over the Red Wolves' 4.5.
- In serving, IU Kokomo put up four services aces compared IU East's two.
Individually (Versus IU East):
- Nyssa Baker and Linda Thomas secured a team-high eight kills apiece.
- Baker also contributed on defense with six block assists.
- Casey Colgate posted 16 assists, with Sarah Morin also putting up 10 helpers.
As a Team (Versus St. Francis):
- The Cougars were strong on both sides of the ball in their win over St. Francis with a .180-.008 hitting percentage as well as 8-4 total blocks.
- IU Kokomo once again captured twice as many service aces with four service aces over St. Francis's two.
Individually (Versus St. Francis):
- Nicole Sandmann and Thomas took the leads on offense, scoring 10 kills each.
- Contributing to the scoring, Colgate and Mary Westover reached double-figures in assists with 14 and 15, respectively.
- Thomas and Maddison Taylor each captured a pair of service aces.
- Defensively, Baker earned five of the Cougar's eight total blocks with two solo blocks and six block assists.
Thoughts from Head Coach Heather Hayes:
"It was nice for our team to get a couple of wins today! Our first match we faced conference opponent IU East and we were able to give a lot of people the opportunity to see the court which was nice. Our second win of the day was a really big win for us. They were receiving votes in the top 25 and also had beaten ranked Lourdes. We were in control of that match the entire time. It is arguably the best we have looked all season. It shows that we are capable of playing at a very elite level. We just need to continue to work on consistency."
IU Kokomo will remain on the road as they travel to Hammond, Ind. to take on Purdue University Northwest on Wednesday, September 6 at 7:00 pm.